You guys…. this is everything you want in a banana bread. It is moist, it has actual banana throughout (not just baked into it for flavor), it has streusel topping AND it has a – b.r.o.w.n. – b.u.t.t.e.r – g.l.a.z.e – on top. I cant say enough about this bread. My mom has made the loaf recipe for as long as I can remember, so to kick it up a notch, I borrowed the family recipe and added streusel and a glaze and I am not kidding when I say this is addictive.
This recipe is pretty straight forward so I wont bore you with the details… lets just get into it.
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
brown butter glaze
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tablespoon whole milk (more or less for desired texture)
- Cream together the butter & sugar
- Add eggs
- Add dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas using a potato masher until chunky but mashed
- Add mashed bananas and fold them in. Make sure you don’t over mix them in, chunks of bananas are good!
- Spoon batter into 2 oiled loaf pans
- Preheat oven to 325
- Prepare streusel topping
- Add flour, brown sugar and cinnamon to a separate bowl
- Cut butter into cubes and add to bowl
- Using a dough blender or 2 forks, mash the butter into the mixture until you get crumbles and the butter is completely incorporated
- Add streusel to the top of both loaf pans, evenly covering both.
- Bake @ 325 for 55 minutes
- For glaze, melt butter in a sauce pan and cook until JUST brown, do not burn.
- Combine all ingredients to a bowl and mix.
- Allow banana bread to cool for a few minutes before drizzling over so it doesn’t melt right away.